Monday, July 28, 2008

meme from sam: books, film/tv, music

*
Sam Rasnake tagged me for the following questions. Except for titles, whatever is in itallycs I'm quoting from Sam.
*
the last book I purchased: Native Son, by Richard Wright

the last film / network series I purchased : Being almost as poor as mice, I haven't purchased one in what's too long to remember, so I'll take liberties here and answer for the last film or tv series I've downloaded, which would be Season One of the brilliant, subversive, and powerful Showtime series, Dexter.

the last music or spoken word recording I purchased : Again, I've downloaded or received as gifts most of my recently acquired music, but I think the most recent collection I've purchased was Wilco's CD released about a year ago.

****

As an adult, the following selections have influenced or impacted me the most...

the book: the ONE single book? wow. I'm not sure I really know; not sure I could choose just one, but if I had to, I guess I'd say Anne Sexton's Complete Poems. And if I had to choose a single book of hers, Love Poems for possibly more reasons that just this, but that was the first book of hers I read, which then prompted me to buy the complete collection. Yes, Love Poems it is. Oh, and even though I'm agnostic, I could never underestimate the impact the New Testament, which I learned first, and primarily, as a child, has had on me: so many of my values reflect so much of it, not to mention my politics. Oh, but Sam did specify "as an adult."

film / network series: I'd have to say Charlie Rose on PBS: there are films, and even a few television shows, that have had more of an immediate emotional impact on me, and it's hard not to choose one of those, but honestly the vast amount of knoweldge and insight presented on that show about such a wide array of issues, and for almost fifteen years (how long I've been watching it), has provided me with an education that I might compare roughly to my college education. Quite possibly even moreso. I'm certain I cannot even really begin to comprehend its impact.

music / spoken word recording: Another really difficult one. The Wishing Chair by 10,000 Maniacs. Although it could just as easily be a few others by REM, Tori Amos, etc.

*
I think tomorrow I'll probably tag Tim, Nick, Paul, Jehanne, and Michi, who has great taste in music. But anybody/everybody: Leave a comment -- I'd be interested to see what answers are out there, especially to the second half of the questions.
*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good questionnaire with some good answers. I also followed the links around and saw some other great answers that reminded me to get out my old vinyls and listen to some things I haven't listened to in a long time, like Neil Young and R.E.M. One of your answers is an album by the Maniacs that I never heard of, so I'll have to check it out. I thought "Tribe" was their first, so I'm excited to hear the one you mentioned. My answers:

Book: The summer after my 1st yr in college I read everything by Kafka I could get my hands on, and read them one after another. They blew me away. Can't pick just one of them, but anything by Kafka. He got me hooked on reading actual literature. It's when I started writing (fiction) and changed my major, much to my parents' dismay.

Music: Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Film: Either "Taxi Driver" which introduced me to Scorsese and to a whole new way of looking at movies, or "My Dinner with Andre," which was like an intellectual and spiritual awakening.

TV: Don't watch it but I couldn't get enoough of "Mork and Mindy" when I was a kid and to this day I'm a big Robin Williams fan.

Good post!
JOHN M.Z.