Saturday, September 29, 2007

love. sometimes.


1. Honeysuckle is my favorite scent.

2. Last night I watched one of my favorite films, Double Indemnity, and something Fred McMurray's character said, that I don't even remember from the dozens of other times I've watched it over more than a dozen years, jumped out at me. That's one of the things that really takes my breath away about great poems, music, films, and any kind of art: every time you experience it, there's always something new about the experience, something you learn or see or feel that you hadn't before. I hadn't seen the film in quite a while, so there was a lot of that, but what really just stood out and up and jumped up and out and bit at an important artery:

How could I have ever known that murder can sometimes smell like honeysuckle?
**

2 comments:

SarahJane said...

I love that movie, too. Barbara Stanwyck (sp?) is fabulous. I don't remember that line myself, but fits F.M.'s character. I also liked the re-make "Body Heat."
cheers

Sara Kearns said...

Hey Sarah, 'doesn't surprise me that we similar taste in films -- I think you've got uber-great taste in music, poetry, oh, and of course in names! :)

I utilized the one German word I know just for you! Oh, no, I guess I know TWO! I love that word "schatenfrueden" -- although I obviously have no idea how to spell it (or pronounce it??)