Monday, July 30, 2007

Ten Favorite Quotes About Poetry: #4, #3.

These two are a virtual tie for me, which is somewhat interesting in that they seem to communicate such different tones, moods, and messages, although I think both are more nuanced than they appear to be, even though nuanced seems to be the last word one would use to describe them. And of course the sources of these quotes are both artists quite capable of dialectical thinking. Nonetheless, part of their appeal to me is how straight-forward, forthright, and succintly simple both, on many levels, are.

Mmm, and I love this: Allen Ginsberg said the first time he (either read Dylan's words or) heard Dylan sing "A Hard Rain," the last line made him cry. To see and hear Ginsberg talk about it (on a documentary about Dylan) really brings his reaction into such stark clarity that Ginsberg's response starts to approach the poignancy of Dylans quote itself.

3.) Poetry does nothing. - W.H. Auden

4.) And I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breath it,
I'll reflect it from the mountains so all souls can see it,
And I'll stand on the ocean until I start sinking,
And I'll know my song well, before I start singing.
- Bob Dylan

1 comment:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Like both of these quotes, Sara. Thanks for posting.